NEWS & EVENTS
Newcomers and guests are always welcome at ISM events. Also posted here are events around the region and national events. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us.
- Saturday, November 4, Noon - 4:00 PM - ISM Fall Meeting and Seed/Plant Exchange
At the Bedford Town Center. Our guest speaker is Lynda Miller, award-winning hybridizer from Canby, Oregon. She will talk about her hybridizing, which includes all classes of bearded irises, including some dwarf and median classes that have gotten less attention over the years. Lynda has won a number of awards, and her irises have topped the popularity polls at recent conventions. Many of us grow several of her irises, and we look forward to hearing what new and exciting things might be coming down the pipeline.
Lunch will be potluck (bring a main dish, side or salad to share; drinks and desserts will be provided).
We will also have our fall seed/bulb/plant exchange - you don't have to bring items in order to take items home.
- Saturday, February 24, 2018 - ISM Hybridizer’s Meeting
At the Bedford Town Center, 12 Mudge Way, Bedford, MA. Hybridizers, bring your photos (on a USB memory stick or on your own laptop). All are welcome. Lunch will be potluck.
- Saturday, March 17, 2018 - ISM Spring Meeting and Photo Contest
At the Bedford Town Center, 12 Mudge Way, Bedford, MA. Don’t forget to bring your pictures for the photo contest. Lunch will be potluck. Classes and rules for the photo contest are here: http://www.massirises.org/listmanager/ismphotocontestrules.html.
- Saturday, May 19, 2018 - Region 1 Spring Tour
Hosted by the Maine Iris Society, the tour will feature the gardens of Pauline Grenier and Peter Young.
- April 8 -14, 2018 - AIS/SLI National Convention
The American Iris Society and the Society for Louisiana Irises will hold their national conventions together in New Orleans. The convention website is located here: http://www.2018irisconvention.org.
- Monday, May 28, 2018 (Memorial Day) - ISM Iris Show
At the Harvey Wheeler Community Center, 1276 Main Street, West Concord, MA. Our show chairman will be Debbie Veinot.
- Saturday, June 2, 2018 - ISM Spring Tour
Featuring Toadland Gardens, the gardens of Stephanie Markham and Larry Wilson, at 22 Lawrence Street, Norfolk, MA, and the gardens of Debbie and Jeannette Veinot, at 322 E. Thompson Rd., Thompson, CT.
- Saturday, October 6, 2018 - Region 1 Fall Meeting
Hosted by the Maine Iris Society.
- Lowell Sun, June 6, 2012
Iris Eyes are Smiling in Concord - link to a slideshow/interview with Barbara and David Schmieder in their Concord gardens (be sure to click on "captions" at the bottom of the video). In addition, click here to see a Lowell Sun YouTube video of Barbara Schmieder explaining iris branching.
DIRECTIONS TO BEDFORD TOWN CENTER
From Route 128 / I-95:
- Take exit 31B (Bedford St./ MA-225 W / MA 4N).
- Go through 6 stop lights.
- After the 6th light, take the 2nd left onto Mudge Way.
- Take an immediate left into the driveway for the Town Hall and Town Center and wind around until you see the yellow clapboard Town Center building. There are several parking areas nearby.
- Enter through the center doors. We meet in the Shawsheen Room, downstairs (a short flight to the right, or there is an elevator).